Recently a colleague happily announced that he and I were in the same boat, the "working parent league, since he was celebrating a new arrival in the home. Now, far be it for me to burst anyone's bubble, so initially I smiled, nodded and congratulated him. But almost instantly my eye caught that of another working mom and we both had to respectfully disagree.
Not that working dads aren't juggling their different roles, it's just we moms manage life so differently. Where my husband focuses on the task at hand; I am working on one task while planning out the rest of the day for my entire family - in fifteen minute increments. That’s just one aspect of my life. Sometimes I feel as if my presence is the pulse of the house.
For example, one Friday afternoon (about 5 pm) after working; and going to school; and running around the city managing kids schedules, for the equivalent of an 80-hour-work week, I dragged into the bedroom and dropped on the bed.
Where I met my husband, who to his credit had worked and night shift; had come home at 9:00 am; slept until about 3:00 pm; then picked up the kids from school and made it back home in time to also crawl back in bed.
In the meantime the kids, when I arrived home, where around the house playing and/or watching television.
After I had been in bed for about five minutes, I had one child literally sitting on my head, another child lying between my husband and I (stealing my covers) and a teenage brother standing at the foot of the bed looking at me like I was a science experiment.
They all wanted something; food, tell a story, clothes, permission slips signed and the Lord knows what else. All I wanted was a moment of rest. I'm thinking REALLY dad was here first, why do you turn to me to facilitate everything. "Because your the mom", is usually the response. Which translated means, Daddy doesn't listen to us. After talking to friends I realize I'm not the only one in this boat, however working dads, to a large extent, is not on the same voyage.
I'm not complaining, this is my role. I am not one of those women that must have control of every aspect of the day. Trust me I have stepped back to let others take the reins, however usually everyone stops and looks at me and says, "What's next?" Sometimes it is just easier to handle the task yourself, then explain to others how to get it done. But when is enough, enough?
It's not all bad. I have found the greatest social organization known to mankind. The Working Mom’s Club. The support I have received in my role as a working mom has come largely from other working moms. We are a sisterhood of magnificent women, who have all but conquered the world. Managing your home, your business, your social life, in many cases, your family's finances and love life....FABULOUS. Sorry dads, though I am rooting for you, looks like we moms have this on lock down.
Take a bow ladies!
No comments:
Post a Comment