My kids are playing make believe. After my 6-year-old daughter and two-and-a-half-year-old son play drums, my daughter sat my son down and began to critique him. Ariana, invited Nate to sit down in his green plastic kiddie chair. She positioned herself directly across from him, in her purple plastic chair.
She seriously contemplated her words and began with an affirmative critique, “Nathan you did a good job, but…” She then went on to explain where he could improve, as if she knew how to drum.
What is most surprising, is that Nathan sat and listened intently. He agreed and took part in the conversation with an occasional, “ ‘kay” accompanied with a head nod; or “Yes, honey.”
I can’t help but laugh to myself because as I watch them play I see myself; my mannerisms, my communication style, and my critiquing style.
Like any parent I am filled with concerns that I am not good enough; I am too busy with work or school, and; I don’t spend enough time nurturing and guiding my kids.
I cry when Ariana draws pictures at school of a little girl crying when her mother is away; or when she writes stories saying, “Mom, I miss you so much when you are not home.”
However today I feel a little vindication. I see myself deposited into my children and they are happy and well rounded. At the very least they will both be excellent communicators, negotiators and mediators. It’s the little things that make the insurmountable challenges seem minuscule.
~ Working Mother
2 comments:
That's beautiful, Kim! I think the advantage you have is in the fact that your children are very young. There are and will still be many opportunities to redeem the time. You are truly a role-model to many! Glad to see you blogging, too!
No doubt that Arianna is going to be a great leader and I could see a little Kim there ;-)
Nathan is just like his Dad…............ Yes, Honey ;-0) SOOOO …CUTE ;-)
I am so touch with the picture at school….she really knows how to express herself…..that is a gift of talent. I would say....you are blessed that you could be able to spend more time with your kids unlike any other mom ….. and of course your kids are so lucky that you are their mother.
Post a Comment